Thursday, August 6, 2026

The Semal Tree

The Semal tree was inanimate in that hot afternoon, a bored Kali Hawa, having nothing to do and not inclined to take afternoon nap, sat under it contemplating mysteries of universe. He saw a non-distinguished person approaching. When he came near the tree, said that inconspicuous fellow,

Do you live here?

I do for the time being. But I don’t know where people live. If they live in their body or in their home or in some exotic realm. 

Eh! I can tell you where you live but only if you will help me find the person I am looking for, said the stranger.

Really! Who are you looking for, does this fellow live here in this village?

Perhaps he does. I am not sure; I don’t know his name.   

All right what do you know about him?

Not much. But then who knows much about himself. Do you know all about yourself?

I said, Sure I know a great deal about myself. My name is Kali Hawa, I have a wife, children, relatives and friends and there is a body of work I have done in my life. That makes my persona real.

Oh! I see but for me it means nothing and I still cannot place you as a person.

Why?

Because the body of work you mention by a fellow name Kali Hawa and the people who will be vouching for you are themselves suspect as to their own identity.  In nutshell you are saying your persona is real due to other persons who do not have proof of their own identity. Doesn’t that make a recursive circle.

I see your point stranger. Perhaps I don’t know much about myself just like the fellow you are looking out for. But do you know about yourself?

I think I do?

Would you care to tell me?

I am illusion of Maya and I am your consciousness. I can tell you where you live! You live in your consciousness nowhere else. When you open your eyes and pierce through the veil of illusion you will know I am you.

No comments: